CONSTITUTION AND BY-LAWS OF FORT WAYNE CHAPTER OF THE INDIANA ASSOCIATION OF WORKERS FOR THE BLIND, INC.
The name of this organization shall be the Fort Wayne Chapter of the Indiana Association of Workers for the Blind, Inc., chartered by and affiliated with the Indiana Association of Workers for the Blind, Inc.
The objectives and purposes for which this organization is formed are:
- To promote the welfare and best interests of the blind of northeast Indiana, including Allen, Adams, Wells, Huntington, Whitley, Noble, and DeKalb Counties.
- To provide ways and means for emergency assistance and relief of temporary distress of blind persons.
- To furnish programs of social and recreational activities for the blind and provide necessary transportation.
Section A. In keeping with the objectives of the Chapter, any person interested in such objectives may request membership in the Fort Wayne Chapter at a regular meeting of the Chapter. Such request shall be recorded by the secretary and brought to the attention of the Board of Directors for a majority vote of approval or disapproval not earlier than the third subsequent Chapter business meeting attended by the applicant. The decision of the Board shall then be announced by the President at the next regular business meeting.
Section B. Membership shall be graded as Active, Sustaining, or Honorary.
Section C. Active members shall be persons actively interested in the affairs and activities of the Chapter and shall attend at least one (1) business meeting of the Chapter each year and pay dues as hereinafter provided except as otherwise determined by the Board of Directors.
Section D. Sustaining members shall be public spirited citizens or organizations who are interested in the objectives and activities of the Chapter and contribute the sum of $15.00, or equivalent in services, in support of Chapter activities.
Section E. Honorary members shall be those residents of the community who have performed outstanding services for the blind of the community and upon whom the Chapter may desire to confer special distinction.
The dues of this Chapter shall be determined from time to time by the Board of Directors. Such dues shall include amounts paid to the Indiana Association of Workers for the Blind, Inc., for state dues or other state activities, but nonpayment of such state dues shall not forfeit membership in the Fort Wayne Chapter. The Board of Directors may in its discretion remit or suspend dues of any member whose circumstances, in the judgment of the Board of Directors, merits such consideration.
Section A. The business affairs, activities and property of this Chapter shall be under the direction and control of a Board of Directors consisting of fifteen (15) members: ten (10) Directors, three (3) of whom shall be active or retired business or professional persons of the Community, and five (5) ex-officio Directors consisting of the five (5) elected officers of the Chapter. Said Directors and officers shall have been elected by a plurality of the active member voting at an election meeting of the Chapter.
Section B. One-half of the ten (10) Directors shall be elected annually and shall take office at the first meeting of the Directors immediately following the annual June membership meeting of the Chapter. Such Directors shall hold office for two (2) years or until such date as their successors shall have been elected and qualified.
A vacancy among the ten (10) Director shall be filled by the Board of Directors for the unexpired term of the Director causing the vacancy.
Section C. The officers of the Chapter shall be a President, Vice President, Executive Secretary, Recording/Corresponding Secretary, and Assistant Treasurer. These officers shall be elected by a plurality of members attending the May meeting of the Chapter at which meeting an annual election shall be held unless otherwise authorized by the Board of Directors. Such elected officers shall take office immediately following the June annual membership meeting and serve for a term of one (1) year or until their successors are elected and qualified; these five (5) elected offices shall be ex-officio members of the Board of Directors. The Chairman of the Board and Treasurer shall be elected by the Board of Directors from the members of the Board of Directors at the first regular meeting of the Board following the June annual membership meeting.
Section A. In January of each year the President shall appoint a nominating Committee consisting of three (3) active members of the Chapter whose purpose shall be to nominate persons who agree to serve on the Board of Directors if elected at the election meeting in May. Nominations for Directors and Officers will be closed at the conclusion of the Board of Directors meeting immediately prior to the election meeting in May. Nominations submitted after that time will not be considered and nominations from the floor at the May election meeting will not be allowed.
Section B. Voting shall be by paper ballot for all Officer and Board positions. A plurality of members qualified to vote and present shall be necessary to elect. The paper ballot will contain the names of all candidates drawn by random selection and shall be in large print, and ballots in Braille shall also be available. Any member needing assistance in completing his or her ballot may request such assistance from any other member of his or her choice.
Section A. All Directors shall be or shall become, active members of the Chapter.
Section B. At least five (5) members of the Board of Directors, including the President, shall be persons who are considered blind or visually handicapped.
Section C. At least three (3) members of the Board of Directors shall be active or retired business or professional persons of the community.
Section A. The President shall be the chief presiding officer of the Chapter. The Vice President shall be in charge of all social activities of the Chapter and shall, in the absence of the President, preside at the business meeting of the Chapter.
Section B. The Chairman of the Board of Directors shall issue the call for, and preside over, all regular and special meetings of the Board. He shall appoint the standing administrative and activities committees by and with consent of the Board of Directors.
Section C. The Executive Secretary shall be under the supervision and direction of the Board of Directors and shall act as liaison officer between the members of the Chapter, the Board of Directors, and the officers and other units of the Indiana Association of Workers for the Blind, Inc., and shall generally assist the President and Chairman of the Board as Executive officers of the Chapter.
Section D. The Recording/Corresponding Secretary shall take and be responsible for all minutes of the meetings of the Board of Directors and other official records of the board, handle correspondence for the Board and perfOrm other duties as may be assigned by the Chairman. The Recording/Corresponding Secretary also shall take and keep the minutes of the monthly business meetings of the Chapter, record the attendance at such meetings, assist the Executive Secretary and President in the conduct of the monthly meetings, maintain a membership list, including addresses and telephone numbers, and handle such correspondence as the President or Executive Secretary may request.
Section E. The Treasurer shall be responsible for collecting all monies due the Chapter from members and issue receipts. The Treasurer shall deposit all money belonging to the Chapter in the bank or banks designated by the Board of Directors. The Treasurer shall pay out money only on the authority of the Board of Directors; all checks and vouchers much be signed by the Treasurer and countersigned by one of the officers, preferably the President or the Executive Secretary. The Treasurer shall prepare and submit monthly financial reports to the Board of Directors.
The Assistant Treasurer shall be The Comfort Fund Chairman and shall be responsible for the gift and remembrance fund of the Chapter, making such presentations to the members of the Chapter as may be appropriate.
Section F. The Executive Secretary, Treasurer, and Assistant Treasurer shall each be bonded for the faithful discharge of their duties in such sum and sureties as may be required by the Board of Directors
- The Board of Directors shall constitute the Executive Board of the Chapter and shall be responsible for the execution through its officers of the authorized policies of the Chapter. All new business of the Chapter shall first be considered and shaped by the Board of Directors for presentation to the Chapter at its regular business meetings, if, in the opinion of the Board, it is advisable to do so.
- >It shall authorize all expenditures and shall not create any indebtedness beyond the income of the Chapter, nor disburse funds for purposes not essential to the objectives of the Chapter.
- A majority vote of the Board of Directors shall govern except where otherwise provided. The Board of Directors shall have the power to overrule or modify the action of any officer of the Chapter.
- It shall have the books and accounts audited annually or more often at its discretion.
- It shall hold regular monthly meetings and such special meetings as may be called by the President of the Chapter or by written request of five (5) members of the Chapter.
- It shall set the time and place of the annual membership meeting of the Chapter and the time and place of an annual election meeting if such election is not held at the regular May business meeting of the Chapter.
- It shall designate a bank or banks for the deposit of the funds of the Chapter.
- It shall approve the surety company in which the Executive Secretary, Treasurer and Assistant Treasurer are bonded.
- It shall determine the compensation, if any, of the Executive Secretary.
- It shall receive committee reports and recommendations and shall submit to the Chapter at its regular meeting recommendations which it has approved affecting administrative or activity policies of the Chapter.
- It shall determine the time and place of the regular Chapter meetings and shall have the authority to call any special meetings considered necessary.
Section A. The Chapter shall hold at least eight (8) regular business meetings each year, one of which shall be designated as the annual meeting. The date, time and place of such meetings, including the annual meeting shall be determined by the Board of Directors. Special meeting may be called when considered necessary by the Board of Directors.
Section B. Fifteen (15) members of the Chapter shall constitute a quorum at any business meeting called by the Board of Directors.
This Constitution may be amended at any regular business meeting at which there is a quorum by a two-thirds vote of the active members present providing such amendment has been previously considered by the Board of Directors and provided further that such amendment has been read in full at a previous business meeting, not less than twenty (20) days prior to the voting on such amendment.
The Board of Directors of the Fort Wayne Chapter of the Indiana Association of Workers for the Blind, Inc., may dissolve the Chapter upon two-thirds (2/3) affirmative vote of the active members of the Chapter attending a regular business meeting of the Chapter, provided such dissolution resolution has been read in full at a previous business meeting of the Chapter held not less than twenty (20) days prior to the voting on such dissolution resolution. The dissolution resolution shall provide for the payment of all liabilities of the Chapter and the disposition of the remaining assets of the Chapter in such manner or to an organization or organizations as will carry out the objectives of the Fort Wayne Chapter. Any organization receiving any asset must have previously received 501C3 certification from the Internal Revenue Service.
- This Chapter at no time shall endorse or recommend any candidate for political office nor shall politics or political candidates be discussed at meeting. Also no religious discussions shall be tolerated at meetings.
- No officer or member of this Chapter shall use it as a means of furthering any personal, political or other aspirations; nor shall the Chapter as a whole take part in any movement not in keeping with the real purpose and objectives of this Chapter.
- No officer or director shall receive any compensation for any service rendered this Chapter with the possible exception of the Executive Secretary, whose compensation, if any, shall be fixed by the Board of Directors.
- These By-Laws may be altered or amended at any regular business meeting of the Chapter by a majority vote of the members present provided notice has been made at the regular meeting one (1) month prior to the meeting at which the amendment is to be voted upon and the proposed amendment stated in said notice.
- Any By-Law may be suspended at any meeting of the Chapter by the unanimous vote of all members present.